NEWBORN SESSION TIP SHEET
- Newborn sessions are booked tentatively around your due date. Once your baby is born, be sure to contact Stacy immediately to confirm a date or make adjustments to it if necessary. Stacy only books so many shoots in one week, so no need to worry if you need to change your date. Births are never predictable!
- THE SOONER THE BETTER! The newer your baby, the easier the session will be. We want your baby to sleep through as much as possible. These sessions are preferably done during the first and second weeks of life. They can be done after that, but may be more difficult.
- Once you book your shoot, Stacy will send you a link to a gallery full of newborn session ideas. Feel free to share any ideas you find on your own. This is one of the most important things you can do to receive photos that are to your specific liking. Please request specifc styles, themes, backgrounds, poses, outfits and props ahead of time so Stacy can prepare.
- Since we want you baby to sleep as much as possible during the session, be sure to reschedule if your baby isn't feeling well so your time is not wasted. Upon arrival we will swaddle your baby and then have you feed him or her and rock them to sleep. If your baby takes a pacifier, bring it. If they’re bottle fed, be sure to bring extra formula as a tool to help calm your baby and get them to sleep as much as possible. A bottle warmer and changing table are available for you to use at the studio.
- Set aside adequate time aside to get ready the day of your shoot. Try to plan and pack ahead of time so you're not rushing and feeling stressed. If you are flustered and frustrated your baby may sense that and feel the same as they are very connected to their parents' emotional states. Newborn sessions can be tedious and long (2-4hrs depending on your baby's mood and how well they cooperate.) We have cold bottled water, flavored soda water, hot coffee & tea at the studio. There is a refrigerator and microwave as well. We suggest you bring a meal or a snack to hold you over.
- Wear cool and comfortable clothing, as the studio will be nice and warm for your baby. If you plan to be in any photos we ask that you wear neutral colors since they photograph so well. Please avoid logos and patterns on shirts. And just in case there are any small accidents, bringing an extra set of clothes is always a good idea. We have a private dressing room where you can get changed
- Use a wash cloth to clean corners of eyes, nostrils, ears and any flaky skin. Keep baby wipes, burp cloths, baby lotion and extra diapers on hand. Baby lotion is a must, as areas of dry, flaky skin that are common to newborns will definitely show up in photos.
- Newborns are often photographed without clothing, either swaddled or naked. However, if there is a particular outfit or two that you would like your baby in, please bring those along. A nice option if you prefer your baby to be clothed but don't have anything specific in mind is just a simple, solid colored onesie. Cloth diapers covers are also great to have, solid colors are preferred. Although I recommend keeping the clothing minimal, you are welcome to bring as many props and/or accessories as you'd like! Here are a few ideas:
-Sentimental items such as your wedding dress, wedding shoes, wedding bands, military/firefighter/police/nurse/EMT or any other types of uniforms and accessories that go with the job, something passed down from past generations in your family, something someone made for the baby, special swaddles, anything with the baby's name on it, little hats, dainty headbands, stuffed animals, tutus, bow ties, baby "costumes" (these usually consist of a diaper cover with matching hat, etc. and can be found on sites such as Amazon & etsy.com), baseball and glove or other sports gear, etc.... The possibilities are endless
This is merely an encouragement to bring special items. If you come empty handed do not worry! Stacy has literally EVERYTHING needed to create a beautiful and creative newborn shoot for you right at her studio including outfits, accessories, props, decor and backgrounds.
In the meantime, if you have any questions at all regarding your baby’s session, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to meeting you and your family very soon!